Padma Shri Achyut P. Kanvinde (1916–28 December 2002) is considered as one of forefathers of modern Indian architecture.
He was born in Achara, in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, in 1916 in a large family. His mother died when he was two and his father was an arts teacher in Bombay. Kanvinde entered the Sir J.J. School of Art (University of Mumbai) in 1935, to study architecture under Claude Batley. He later studied design at Harvard in 1945 and was influenced by the works of Walter Gropius.
The University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore campus designed by Kanvinde and Rai
Along with his partner S. Rai, he opened a firm Kanvinde, Rai and Chowdhury in New Delhi (which is currently run by Mr. Sanjay Kanvinde, Mrs. B.K. Tanuja and Mr. Murad Chaudhury). The firm has been responsible for IIT Kanpur, National Science Centre, Delhi, NII Pune, numerous dairy buildings under NDDB and many other great buildings.